Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Enough is Enough!

by John Galt

Enough is enough.  Livelihoods, if not lives, are at stake.  I’ve endured sequestration, budget cuts, tax increases, you name it.  I don’t go out to eat.  I don’t go to the movies.  I buy what I need, but not always what I want.  I've prioritized my spending and eliminated waste.  I waved off physical therapy for my feet because I can still walk and a little pain won’t slow me down.  Therapy just wasn't in the budget.

I've done exactly what I expect my government to do.  I expect them to live within a budget, prioritize purchases, and weigh the pros and cons even down to medical care decisions.  But, have they?  As we stare wide eyed at the oncoming sequestration Round Two, what did we learn?  Well, speaking from the point of view of the tax payer, I had some waste in my budget.  Anything labeled entertainment or fun was labeled waste and cut from my budget.  But I work really hard from my money, so shouldn't there be some allotment to enjoy?  Maybe dinner out and a movie?  When do I get that luxury back?  When will the government let me keep enough to enjoy the fruits of my labor?

Luckily, I've never had credit card debt…  Wait.  Isn't that buying stuff when you don’t have the money to pay for it?  I never did that.  I waited until I could afford it or decided I didn’t need it.  Fiscal restraint and living within my means were what my parents taught me.  Why does the government live under different rules?  Why do they continue to spend, all the while calling each other names and spending more time spinning the blame than solving the problem?

Well, enough is enough.  To my government I say, find a leader with a viable plan and get on the wagon.  Simply make a budget, cut the waste, and spend less than you have.  Stop talking about raising taxes.  I’m already paying enough and I am not seeing it well spent.  You don’t throw good after bad, my dad would say.  If the government were my neighbor and I saw them pulling into their driveway in a new Lexus, but their kids were hungry, their house was in disrepair, and their yard was overgrown, I’d call them out and challenge their priorities.  If they were my family and this happened, we’d have words and if they didn't listen, I’d drop a dime and call mom.  She didn't raise her kids to be reckless with their future.


So, stop playing make-believe with our future, we cannot afford it.  Challenge the government to answer what do they need and what can we afford.  Get our budget under control.  Stop throwing around blame.  Fix the problem.  At this point, I don’t care who started it.  I just want to go out to dinner while one of the restaurants in town is still open for business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite, rational, and thoughtful discourse is encouraged. Comments that are rude, vulgar, or off topic will be deleted.