Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Judging the Stereotype

In a recent speech, President Obama stated that the black community’s experience with racial disparity in law and social prejudice influenced their reaction to the George Zimmerman trial verdict.  He gave examples of those social prejudices:

“There are very few African-American men in this country who haven't had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store. That includes me.

There are probably very few African-American men who haven't had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars. That happens to me -- at least before I was a senator.

There are very few African-Americans who haven't had the experience of getting on an elevator and a woman clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off.”

I can’t pretend to understand how it would feel to be a black man in this country.  I can imagine I would also be angry if I were treated in the way he described in his speech.  But I started to wonder about the reasons why people might react the way the President described when dealing with a stranger who happens to be a black man.

Do people follow black men in department stores because they are bigots?  Do people lock their doors or clutch their purses because they are racist?  Or are these people passing judgment based on a stereotype?

While my experiences are nothing like those the President mentioned, I’ve been judged based on stereotype.  I am a white male and speak with a southern accent.  I’ve had people assume, because of my race, my gender, and my speech that I am both ignorant and racist.  In fact, I am neither, but until someone talks to me and gets to know me, they have no way of knowing that.  I would venture that most people are influenced into believing the stereotype of the ignorant, racist southern male because of incidences in the South during the Civil Rights movement or what people see on TV or in movies, and not because of their personal interactions.

What if people are reacting to what they believe are the characteristics of stereotypical black males?  Quite often, their roles on TV or in movies are as violent criminals, drug dealers, and the like, someone to be feared.  I understand how someone would be hurt and angry to be judged based on a stereotype instead of their own character.  Instead of being angry at society for judging, wouldn’t it be better to change the stereotype?

I can assure you that I present myself in a manner that dispels any indicators of ignorance or racism.  Most of the time, I am well groomed, well dressed, and well spoken.  My parents taught me to be polite and courteous, regardless of race.  I have a college education.  I avoid the use of racist language and don’t tolerate its use by others.  I hold myself accountable and I believe it shows in my demeanor and my actions.

The President mentioned trying to help black youths by saying, “how are we doing a better job helping young African-American men feel that they're a full part of this society and that -- and that they've got pathways and avenues to succeed?”  I don’t think he really understands that more social programs aren't the way to change the stereotype.  In order to change the stereotype, leaders of all colors need to encourage personal responsibility and education, and speak out against the negative influences in the media and society, especially those negative role models in music, cinema, and sports.  If we hold people accountable for their actions and encourage positive character traits, perhaps President Obama’s experiences will be a thing of the past.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite, rational, and thoughtful discourse is encouraged. Comments that are rude, vulgar, or off topic will be deleted.