Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Connected

Thanks to John Galt for another great post.

Are we jaded?  Are we realistic?  Are we informed?  I’d hate to think we are clueless.  Our country’s strength has been founded on the ability to assess the situation and foster a solution.  This ability still exists and (hopefully) will soon be apparent in Oklahoma.  I pray that the country comes together to support those affected by the tornadoes and bring about recovery and healing. 

My challenge to the country’s realism centers on our ability to recover financially from this failed economy.  Sequestration.  Maybe it didn't affect you directly, but it will affect you.  Many of the government agencies are working at a deficit.  We have to work less hours with the associated cut in pay.  That means we have to make informed choices on how we spend our reduced salary.  We won’t eat out, order in, buy extra, improve our homes, upgrade our automobile, or buy your goods and services.  We simply cannot afford it.  The costs of goods and services did not diminish with our salary reduction, so expect me to spend less than the 10% pay cut.  I’m scared of what comes next, so I’ll hold onto all I can. 

So, if you joined in the rhetoric on the fat-cat federal employee that could well afford a pay cut, let me share my burden with you in the goods and services industry.  I cannot afford you.  The days of isolation when the consequence imposed on one person did not necessarily affect others are gone.  I don’t live off the land.  In days past, my farm’s drought probably wouldn't affect you.  I’d weather the loss alone.  You wouldn't have to carry my burden, feed my family or offer a hand out.

Well, my pride won’t let me ask for a handout, but it will make me hold onto my money very tightly so I won’t have to.  But think about it.  Our economy is based on capitalism.  You want to sell me something.  If you are economically viable, you are lucky.  But, when your recent high school graduate cannot find a job because I had to take a second job as a clerk in a department store or a waiter in a restaurant, you will feel the effects.  When I buy fewer products, the mill cuts back on their output and lays employees off, prices will go up, and you will feel the effects.  We are all connected in this economy.  To think otherwise is foolish.

One thing you won’t notice is a change to my support of the people that endure the horrors of a disaster.  I will always send them my prayers and offer them a hand and a warm meal.  My grandma taught me to be frugal with a dollar, but never let anyone go hungry from her table.


So, since we are all in this together, let’s say enough is enough to our elected federal officials.  We won’t tolerate your indecisive, ineffective conduct.  You can no longer target one group as the scapegoat and distract us from the real issue.  You, our elected officials, are not doing your job and we are tired of it.  Shake the hand of the person across the aisle and work out a solution that puts this country back to work.  Enough is enough.   People are suffering and you can ease their pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite, rational, and thoughtful discourse is encouraged. Comments that are rude, vulgar, or off topic will be deleted.