Friday, February 15, 2013

Check Your Premise

Another thought-provoking post from John Galt.  


I was asked yesterday if I thought the Liberal-left cared more about “people” issues than the Conservative-right.  First, I understand that this is a trap and there is no right answer, so whether you agree or disagree is immaterial.  But think a bit about the group dynamics in play.  From my view, the Left tends to be more focused on the trendy issues of the time like sexuality, immigration, or social programs.  I see these issues as entitlements for the individual.  These are self-centered causes that compete against one another for a larger piece of the entitlement pie.  Entitlements may be in the form of more press, larger headlines, new laws, or more funding.  It is all about the squeaky wheel of the moment.  But, when the individuals, screaming for support of their top 10, top five or top causes, are in a collective group each screaming for their top causes, it is every man for himself and every woman for herself.  It is never for the greater good, it creates division. 
Let me dispel with the notion that there is such thing as a social norm, or average on the value of social issues in this country, much less the world.  If you lined up each individual’s top ten values, it is highly unlikely that a majority of the country would have the same ten in the same order.  So, no matter how loud you scream for your issue, few are going to scream just as loud for your number one issue.  So, it is a competition for which there will be winners and losers, be it funding, legislation, or public support, for your cause.  And, screaming so much about it becomes badgering at some point; your voice is no longer effective because people have tuned you out. 

I, as a conservative, am tolerant of other’s top causes, but I don’t have to embrace them or adopt them as my own.  My willingness to be tolerant gains me nothing in the media or by the groups.  But, because I will not embrace or adopt the cause as my own and champion it, it is inferred that I am against it.  There are different degrees of support between for or against.  In this land of the free, as I recall, I don’t have to love what you love.  I prefer not to be bludgeoned about the head by it.  I’ve done my homework, assessed the impacts of the issue on the country and on my own life, and determined my position on the matter.  I’d appreciate it if you would agree to disagree with me.  It will save us both a lot of time.
So before you take in that breath, are you really asking, or demanding, change for the betterment of the country or is it about you?  If it puts more in your treasure trove than another’s or moves your cause higher up the flag pole, maybe you aren’t the champion of humankind you thought you were.  The Left has long been labeled the “bleeding heart” Liberals, so ask yourself if you are bleeding for everyone or for yourself and your interests first and foremost. 

Before I leave the Left, there are also a lot of posers that fill your ranks, but won’t bleed for your cause.  They are the people that don’t really have a dog in the fight, but think they achieve social cool by association.  They hop from topic to topic with the flow of media interest, but never are willing to do more than wear the t-shirt under safe conditions.  They won’t march in your parade, sign a petition, or discuss the cause outside their circle of like-minded friends.  The Left is lucky for these groupies, however, because they are the uninformed voters that vote for a president for his stand on social issues, like gay rights, when he has no authority under the law over these issues.

In history, the Conservatives have been characterized as the money makers that generate wealth on the backs of the workers and reap all of the benefit.  But, don’t they also create jobs?  I believe, as a conservative, that the opportunities are there for the taking, but you have to put forth the effort--there are no handouts.  It is up to the individual; it is their responsibility to take advantage of the opportunity.   For this, Conservatives prefer less laws that bound the possibilities or that limit opportunities.  Maybe this appears to be every man for himself.  But by creating wealth, they also have the wealth to give to charity, to create jobs, and to invest.  This creates an economy that thrives, produces tangible products and innovation.  Through this, we have better schools, better crops, safe water, ample food, more efficient cars, and research that continues to push the boundaries. 

So, in the end, who cares more about the people in this country?  It is hard to say.  I bet both would say they are more concerned about individual rights and opportunities.  This country is supposed to be all about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Every person has a different measure of success of those rights.  Each approaches it a different way, but anything that helps the greater good, helps us all by definition.  So before you hit me over the head with your protest sign, I ask you to think about your cause and if it really will make this country better if you get a bigger piece of the American pie than your neighbor.  So take a minute and check your premise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite, rational, and thoughtful discourse is encouraged. Comments that are rude, vulgar, or off topic will be deleted.